Helpful navigation toolbar

Friday, January 14, 2011

San Antonio Skyline, with a "tilt shift"

Today's photo is of the San Antonio skyline (from the same vantage point as my previous night-time shot, which can be seen here). I modified the photo using AlienSkin Bokeh 2 to create a "tilt shift", which in this case makes the vehicles on the road look miniaturized. I think this software, in certain situations, can enhance a photograph and I think it does a pretty good job of that in this photo. I wasn't quite happy with the shot itself (to make a long story short, the lens ended up having to go back to Canon to have some issues with sharpness resolved), so once again I used a software program to "hide" portions of the photo I wasn't happy with.


I used several different aspects of Color Efex Pro to get the shot looking like this as well, I merged several different slightly modified presets, including black and white infrared, black and white, midnight, pro contrast, and tonal contrast (to name a few) to get the shadows and coloring of the photo where I wanted it. Once that was achieved, I cropped the shot and added the tilt-shift effect to the shot. I don't think I would want to use this effect all the time, but in some situations I definitely like it (I have used it twice this week, the first time I used it was in the Enola Gay photo at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center).


As always, please feel free to leave comments or feedback, and remember clicking on the photo takes you to my smugmug gallery where you can view this (and other photos I have done) in various sizes. Thanks for stopping by!



San Antonio Skyline - "tilt shift"


(PS: Once again, I know that the photo bleeds slightly into the column on the right. The "small" version of the photo was too small I think because of the odd dimensions that I cropped the shot too. There is nothing wrong with your browser rendering, I assure you!)



No comments:

Post a Comment