Helpful navigation toolbar

Monday, February 28, 2011

Sea World San Antonio - Bay of Play

Welcome back to my continuing my "Sea World Week" series! These photos are of the newest attraction at Sea World San Antonio, the Sesame Street themed "Bay of Play". I thought it was just a large playground area, but it turns out it is that..and a small water park...and a performing theater...and a carousel. It is primarily geared toward young children, but I saw plenty of "kids of all ages" playing in the water while I was switching to the wide angle lens to get a better shot of the water area!


The first photo is one of the entrances to the new area, I would guess that it is supposed to be the "main entrance". It is quite possibly the largest and most exquisite playground that I have ever seen. There are nets to climb, walkways to travel on, slides, a little bit of everything. It looks like it would be a lot of fun and I am sure that the Bay of Play is going to be a huge hit! (in fact, one of the Sea World employees near the climbing nets had a broken arm...I wonder how that happened? Haha!)


Bay of Play Entrance


The next shot is of the new carousel located in the Bay of Play. It is right next to the "Shamu Express", a very small roller coaster for young guests to the park (and anyone that is afraid to ride the Steel Eel or Great White). I honestly thought that the carousel was going to be a little larger than it was, but I did not expect it to be Sesame Street themed. I took several shots of this trying to determine which was the best mix of riders and characters on the top and ultimately decided on this shot, featuring Ernie and his rubber ducky and Grover (I admittedly do not know the names of the two female characters that you can see in the shot)


Carousel


The last photo came as a bit of a surprise to me. One would think with an area being called the "Bay of Play" that there would be water, but I didn't put two and two together until we walked around the playground area to get a shot of the carousel. This is probably going to be the most popular part of the attraction, especially as the temperature increases. It was almost 90 degrees yesterday, but it was still mostly overcast and a little chilly (comparatively speaking) when I took this shot. The hardest part about the shot was finding a spot where I could capture a lot of the water, but ensure my camera would stay dry. Thankfully it wasn't windy so once I found a spot all that I had to be concerned about was just getting the perspective that I wanted.


Water Park


Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback, and remember clicking on the photo takes you to my online gallery hosted over at smugmug where you can view this (and my other photos) in various sizes. Please stop back again tomorrow as the series continues, this time focusing on the Sea Lion show "Cannery Row Caper"! Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. I am totally diggin' this series, my friend! You've really captured these well. It's bloody cold and snowing up here today, I really needed a few images of sunshine and above freezing temps. Great images, great blog here Brian, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete