Helpful navigation toolbar

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Apollo 8 Mission Control

Today's photo is a shot that I took while touring the Apollo/Saturn V Center during our visit to the Kennedy Space Center. After witnessing a short video presentation that detailed the beginnings of the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union, we shuffled into a room that was set up to mimic mission control during the launch of Apollo 8. We managed to get a seat in the second row and I had enough room to set up my tripod and take some long exposure shots (long enough to capture enough light to create a good photo anyway).


I ended up deciding not to take bracketed shots for this scene because there were too many different lights and countdown clocks and the brackets would have come out looking terrible. The fact that I didn't have much room for the tripod also contributed to my decision, as I could not guarantee it would remain stable during the period of time that I would need to create a set of bracketed shots. So, this image was created from a single RAW shot, the different exposures were created using DPP, then processed using my normal methods. As the last step I then converted using Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 and decided that I liked the black and white look more than the color version, so I decided to keep it and make that my final processed shot.


Apollo 8 Mission Control
Canon 60D, on tripod, 1 RAW shot, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (@10mm), Aperature f/8


If you are so inclined, please feel free to leave any comments or feedback. Also remember that clicking on the photo takes you to my online gallery hosted over at smugmug where you can view the photos that I have posted in various sizes. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Brian, I LOVE this shot! The B&W processing is definitely the way to go on this one, it feels like a scene cut straight from the launches of the 60's! Awesome photo my friend!

    ReplyDelete